Keep Austin Serving: The AmeriCorps Way
Celebrating 20 years of Getting Things Done!
This year AmeriCorps celebrates 20 full years of direct service! Every day in communities across America, AmeriCorps members are making a powerful impact on the most critical issues facing our nation. Since its inception, more than 820,000 men and women have taken the AmeriCorps pledge, serving more than one billion hours and improving the lives of countless Americans. Visit AmeriCorps.gov to learn more!
AmeriCorps Fast Facts:
- 820,000: Number of individuals who have served as AmeriCorps members since 1994.
- 1 Billion: Total number of hours served by AmeriCorps members.
- $2.4 Billion: Total amount of Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards earned by AmeriCorps members.
- 4 Million: Number of community volunteers managed or mobilized by AmeriCorps members in 2012.
- 15,000: Number of nonprofit, faith-based, and community organizations that AmeriCorps members serve with.
On Our 20th Anniversary…
- AmeriCorps has Strong Momentum: The President knows first-hand the power of citizens to get things done and is deeply committed to investing in service and community solutions.
- Task Force on Expanding National Service: In July 2013, President Obama created a high-level task force identify new ways the public and private sectors can partner to expand national service as a strategy for tackling national priorities.
- Bipartisan Support: There is a growing recognition from Members of Congress, Governors, and Mayors of both parties that national service is an essential strategy to address critical problems.
- 20 Years Serving America: Starting in September 2013, we will recognize the commitment of AmeriCorps members and alums and highlight the extraordinary impact AmeriCorps has made for 20 years.
- Celebrating the past, building for the future: The 20th will recognize important moments in AmeriCorps’ history but it will also look ahead to our exciting future by demonstrating impact, building partnerships, and increasing service opportunities to serve
The Big 9 Austin AmeriCorps Programs:
There are 9 AmeriCorps programs in Austin, TX working together to serve the community in many ways. From literacy, drop out prevention and college access, to fighting poverty and homelessness, to conservation and disaster relief, Austin AmeriCorps members have been getting things done for 20 years. We look forward to continuing to serve the Austin area.
We provide low-income schools with highly trained AmeriCorps tutors to ensure that children advance to grade level in reading before third grade.
We offer programs for young people, ages 16 to 28 who want to change their lives through education, workforce training and service to their country.
Through personalized, near-peer coaching and a strong support network, we guide motivated students to and through college. It’s fun. It works.
Through campus-based programs and special projects, Communities In Schools creates a network of volunteers, social services, businesses, and community resources that work together to break down barriers and help students succeed.
We provide a path to college, starting in middle school, for low-income students who will be first-generation college graduates.
4-H CAPITAL provides high quality after-school enrichment programs that focus on science, engineering and technology. We provide hands-on learning experiences that not only help youth become successful adults but also reduce risk-taking behaviors that inhibit success.
Based on the belief that all people deserve the dignity of a safe place to call home, we provide a pathway home through shelter, affordable housing, and community education.
We support basic family literacy, workforce literacy, English as a Second Language (ESL), financial literacy, health literacy and more. By working with our member providers, we have been able to reach out to new groups not currently being served, expand into new markets and increase the awareness of literacy needs in Central Texas.
Our entire mission and vision are anchored around our dedication to ending the cycle of poverty housing and the deeply held belief that everyone deserves a decent, affordable place to live. Together with the great people of Austin, we build homes, communities and hope.